16 May 2005

Details, Details

I got a mailing from World Mission the other day, it's cover letter greeting me thus:

Missionary Woodward,
Should you accept this mission...

The communication instructed me to open the contents in a private place. When I came to the end of the letter I detected a small, suspicious-looking device before I read the following:

This letter will self destruct in five seconds.

So you see, the Lord's Work is really a lot of fun. I can't tell you any more or else I'll have to excommunicate you. I kid. Nothing self-destructed. And I can tell you ALL ABOUT my mission! (The fancy-colored links in text will lead you away from this site, NOT open new windows, and give more info on what I'm writing about, like an instant-footnote)

I'm set to leave for a little island off the southeast coast of China in August. This is Taiwan. Population, about 22 million. Total area: 13,900 square miles. In ChiaYi, a city in the central west region of the island, LCMS World Mission has started a school called Concordia English Language Academy. It's a private elementary and high school where kids learn in a 100% english-speaking environment and also where I'll be teaching, my handy-dandy degree in Elementary Education having just been earned from Concordia University. Yee haw!

This is a one-year committment to begin with, but missionaries are recommended to use what they learned the first year and keep the momentum going with a second year. I'm hoping for this momentum and tentatively planning on two years.

It costs $4,800 to support a missionary (in this instance, me) in this field for one year. What I'm doing this summer is partnering with churches for financial support and prayer. This is a great part of missions because it gives Christ followers in America the chance to be my legs and, well, crutches, for the sake of the gospel, in a land far far away. Hopefully not my gurney, but you never know with God. Heh.

Questions! Comments! Hit the green underlined link below that says comments, and may the peace of the Lord be with you.